US House of representatives extends NSA’s controversial surveillance program, Google acquires company that can turn screens into speakers, Opera announces Opera News and whole lot more!
Starring Tom Merrit, Sarah Lane, Roger Chang and Justin Robert Young
Using a Screen Reader? Click here
Multiple versions (ogg, video etc.) from Archive.org.
Please SUBSCRIBE HERE.
Follow us on Soundcloud.
A special thanks to all our supporters–without you, none of this would be possible.
If you are willing to support the show or give as little as 5 cents a day on Patreon. Thank you!
Big thanks to Dan Lueders for the headlines music and Martin Bell for the opening theme!
Big thanks to Mustafa A. from thepolarcat.com for the logo!
Thanks to Anthony Lemos of Ritual Misery for the expanded show notes!
Thanks to our mods, Kylde, Jack_Shid, KAPT_Kipper, and scottierowland on the subreddit
To read the show notes in a separate page click here!
- Quick Hits
- (01:35) Dropbox Files Confidentially for U.S. IPO | bloomberg
- (01:55) House votes to renew controversial surveillance program that powers the NSA | the verge
- (02:15) South Korea may or may not ban bitcoin exchanges and that’s the news | tech crunch
- (02:35) Intel promises to be more transparent about Spectre CPU performance impacts | the verge
- More Top Stories
- (03:00) Google Quietly Buys U.K. Sound Tech Startup Redux | bloomberg
- (04:05) Opera launches Opera News app in Africa | biztech africa
- (06:35) YouTube removes Logan Paul as a preferred ad partner, puts his YouTube Red projects on hold | the verge
- (11:30) New Samsung phones in the US and Canada will have an active FM radio chip | the verge
- (17:55) Step aside, China: India is now the world’s fastest-growing mobile payment market | tech in asia
- Discussion Story
- (22:45) AI accent test
- Test your fake British or American accent with this AI | the next web
- Can we decode your ACCENT? | cambridge consultants
- (22:45) AI accent test
- Message of the Day
- (26:30) Nik – Vive pronunciation
- Today’s Contributors
- Friend of the show Wil Harris is fundraising for Campaign Against Living Miserably, a charity that encourages men to get help with their mental health.
2 thoughts on “DTNS 3197 – Nostalgitech”
Y’all were talking about tap-to-pay types things and I just wanted to say that I have a credit card with Capital One that also has NFC built into it so that I can tap and pay with the card itself at locations that accept it. And it is way faster than the chip reader to make the payments. So maybe this is the direction future NFC payments should go.
FM frequencies are less desirable to portable device makers because antennas are harder to make in a compact size. The lower the frequency, the larger the antenna needs to be. Also, broadcast radio still has an advantage in emergency situations because it’s easily available to everyone.