Is the tide of Fake News too great to overcome and where will its effects lead society? Plus Qualcomm raised its bid to buy NXP Semiconductors and a warning that Twitter bots with ties to the Russian government are using the Parkland shooting to sow discord on American social media.
Starring Tom Merritt, Sarah Lane, Roger Chang and Patrick Beja.
Multiple versions (ogg, video etc.) from Archive.org.
Please SUBSCRIBE HERE.
Subscribe through iTunes here.
Follow us on Soundcloud.
A special thanks to all our supporters–without you, none of this would be possible.
Big thanks to Mustafa A. from thepolarcat.com for the logo!
Thanks to our mods, Kylde, Jack_Shid, KAPT_Kipper, and scottierowland on the subreddit
To read the show notes in a separate page click here!
- Quick Hits
- (00:50) Snapchat adds GIF stickers via Giphy, plus new Friends and Discover screen tabs | tech crunch
- (01:05) Bitcoin Rises as South Korea Talks ‘Active’ Support for Trading | bloomberg
- (01:40) Samsung’s new SSD is industry’s biggest at 30TB | cnet
- More Top Stories
- (02:30) Say goodbye to Android Pay and hello to Google Pay | tech crunch
- (04:20) Qualcomm deals blow to Broadcom’s bid with sweetened NXP deal | reuters
- (06:40) Eric Lundgren, ‘e-waste’ recycling innovator, faces prison for trying to extend life span of PCs | washington post
- (10:55) Swype pioneered a new way to type on smartphones—now it’s dead | ars technica
- (13:20) Russian bots debate US gun control laws | bbc
- Discussion Story: (15:00) Aviv Ovadya
- He Predicted The 2016 Fake News Crisis. Now He’s Worried About An Information Apocalypse. | buzzfeed
- We Are Truly F**ked: Everyone Is Making AI-Generated Fake Porn Now | motherboard
- Face2Face: Real-time Face Capture and Reenactment of RGB Videos | Matthias Niessner
- Synthesizing Obama: Learning Lip Sync from Audio | washington university
- Lyrebird claims it can recreate any voice using just one minute of sample audio | the verge
- Message of the Day
- (25:05) David – Robonaut
- Today’s Contributors