Is big data based predictive policing the key to better law enforcement or is it a bandage for more serious issues? Plus Fitbit teases a new fitness tracker watch and researchers at MIT have come up with a faster and safer way to build wood furniture.
Starring Tom Merritt, Sarah Lane, Roger Chang and Scott Johnson.
Using a Screen Reader? Click here
Multiple versions (ogg, video etc.) from Archive.org.
Please SUBSCRIBE HERE.
Subscribe through iTunes here.
Follow us on Soundcloud.
A special thanks to all our supporters–without you, none of this would be possible.
If you are willing to support the show or give as little as 5 cents a day on Patreon. Thank you!
Big thanks to Dan Lueders for the headlines music and Martin Bell for the opening theme!
Big thanks to Mustafa A. from thepolarcat.com for the logo!
Thanks to Anthony Lemos of Ritual Misery for the expanded show notes!
Thanks to our mods, Kylde, Jack_Shid, KAPT_Kipper, and scottierowland on the subreddit
To read the show notes in a separate page click here!
- Quick Hits
- (01:15) There Is Actually a Point to Putting a 4G Network On the Moon | fortune
- (02:00) Facebook rolls out job posts to become the blue-collar LinkedIn | tech crunch
- (02:25) BlackBerry will remove paid apps from the BlackBerry World app store on April 1st | the verge
- (02:40) Spotify files for its unusual IPO | axios
- More Top Stories
- (03:35) Apple Watch Series 3 Can Now Track Skiing and Snowboarding Activity | macrumors
- (04:50) Fitbit’s new ‘mass appeal’ smartwatch: Exclusive pictures and details revealed | wareable
- (07:45) Hangouts Chat, Google’s Slack competitor, comes out of beta | tech crunch
- (10:45) Twitter launches Bookmarks, a private way to save tweets | tech crunch
- (12:55) MIT’s robot carpenters will saw wood for you, but you have to make the furniture yourself | the verge
- Discussion (15:30)
- Palantir Has Secretly Been Using New Orleans to Test Its Predictive Policing Technology | the verge
- Chicago’s predictive policing tool just failed a major test | the verge
- Predictive Policing Reinforces Police Bias | human rights data analysis group
- Message of the Day
- (24:35) David – Vero
- Today’s Contributors